Found a Stray Pet? What To Do:
If the pet IS injured:
Take the pet to a vet or call animal control for the city/county the animal was found in (see numbers below).
If the pet IS NOT injured:
Contact the local animal shelter where the pet was found. Regardless of whether or not the pet has a collar, or whether or not you want to keep it, you must report the pet to the local animal shelter. The pet may have a microchip that needs to be scanned for identification of the pet’s owners.
If it’s after business hours, please contact animal control.
We can only accept stray pets found in the City of Williamsburg, James City County and District 1 of Upper York County, Virginia.
Local numbers for this area:
- Heritage Humane Society 757-221-0150
- James City Animal Control 757-565-0370
- York County Animal Control 757-890-3601
- Peninsula Regional Shelter (Hampton/Newport News) 757-933-9265
- New Kent Animal Control 804-966-9500
- Gloucester Animal Control 804-693-5290
- Charles City Animal Control 804-829-9265
- Peninsula Emergency Vet Clinc 757-874-8115 (Yorktown)
- Animal Emergency Center 757-234-0461 (Yorktown)
Facebook sites to post a picture and information:
Post on Trash & Treasure
Post on Lost & Found Pets Hampton Roads
Contact the Home Owner’s Association for the area the animal was found
Ask neighbors if they know who the animal belongs to
After normal business hours:
Contact the emergency vet and they will hold animal until animal control can come and retrieve the animal. If the pet is injured, call Animal Emergency Center 757-234-0461 (Yorktown)