What to Expect When Adopting
- All adoption applicants must be at least 18 years old and provide a valid driver’s license.
- Animals presently in the adopters home must be current on all vaccinations.
- Renters will be required to provide contact name and phone number of landlord upon completion of the adoption application.
- Our adoption team will contact your landlord to verify pet policy and payment of pet deposit prior to adoption.
- When feasible potential adopters are required to bring family members and household pets in for a meet and greet. If desired, Heritage Humane Society is happy to schedule a Meet n’ Greet with our trained staff, your current dog and the adoptable dog. This is not required, but may be suggested for some dogs.
- It is very important that the entire family is accepting of the new animal.
- We highly recommend that cats be kept indoors for their safety. If you’re looking for a barn cat, we can help you! Click here.
- Virginia law requires that you provide adequate shelter, veterinary care and daily food and water for a domestic animal. It also states that all cats and dogs released from adoption agencies must be spayed/neutered.
- Before you fall in love: Our goal is to set you and your new pet up for success! Adopting a pet can be a great experience for you and your family. A new pet can instantly warm your heart as they join your family. A new pet can also be a challenge if you have not considered all the factors before you adopt.Have I talked about adopting a new pet with everyone in my household?
- Do I have the financial resources to properly care for a pet?
- Are there any restrictions on the kind or number of pets I can have where I live? If you rent, please bring a copy of the rental’s pet policy, lease, or letter from your landlord.
- Keep in mind that in order to adopt from the Heritage Humane Society, you must be at least 18 years old and show a current photo ID.