Surrender A Pet
If you have exhausted all of your options please contact Heritage Humane Society ahead of time to schedule an appointment to surrender your pet.
- Call 757-221-0150 ext:0
- We do not accept surrenders on weekends.
- We can only accept surrenders from the City of Williamsburg, James City County and District 1 of Upper York County, Virginia. Proof of residency is required at the time of surrender.
- Bring your pet’s complete vet records, including proof of rabies, as well as any medications they may need.
- Describe the animal’s behavior with the adoption counselor. This includes what the animal likes, dislikes, temperament, and other personality traits.
- Bathe and groom the pet before they arrive.
- Bring some of their favorite belongings, such as toys, blankets, beds, carrier, litter box and other items.
Heritage Humane Society does not provide community euthanasia services. If your pet needs to be put to sleep, please contact your veterinarian. If you do not have a veterinarian, please refer to the phone book or contact Heritage Humane Society and we can offer a list of veterinarians in the area.
Before you surrender your pet please call Heritage Humane Society at 757-221-0150 ext:0. We can help troubleshoot any problems you are having with your family pet, and if after talking with you; if surrendering the animal is the chosen course, we can help answer any questions or concerns you have about the process.
Heritage Humane Society charges a nominal fee with surrendering an animal, as follows:
- $50 per animal surrendered
- Additional $20 if no proof of rabies vaccination
- $40 for litters of kittens/puppies
- Monday 9:00 AM – 3:00 PM
- Tuesday 9:00 AM – 11:00 AM
- Wednesday 9:00 AM – 11:00 AM
- Thursday 9:00 AM – 11:00 AM
- Friday 9:00 AM – 11:00 AM
- Saturday 9:00 AM – 11:00 AM
- Sunday 9:00 AM – 11:00 AM
- Please call 757-221-0150 at least 24 hours in advance to schedule your surrender appointment. Stray animals do not require an appointment for surrender.