Dog Training Classes
Heritage Humane Society is offering group dog training classes that are available to the public. Adopters from HHS receive a special $40 off voucher. Discounts are available for bundled purchases.
Handlers must be at least 18 years old, or accompanied by an adult, but the entire (human) family is encouraged to attend. Heritage Humane Dog Training uses family-friendly, positive-reinforcement methodology that is appropriate for all ages.
Dogs 6-months and older must have proof of current Rabies Vaccination. Puppies 5-months and younger must have had their second round of puppy (DPP) vaccinations. Paperwork required (metal collar tags cannot be accepted as proof).
Where are the classes held?
- Classes are sold and held at the shelter (430 Waller Mill Rd., Williamsburg, VA 23185)
What is the cost of training classes?
- A six week course costs $140 (that covers all 6 weeks)
- If you buy two at once, it is only $250 (that covers 12 weeks of classes)
- If you buy three at once, it is only $350 (that covers 18 weeks of classes!)
- Adopters from HHS will be given a $40 off voucher. This can be used on a single class or bundled purchase
- Workshops are single day (1 hour) sessions on specific topics. The cost is $40 per workshop. Space is limited
How do I purchase classes?
- You can also call our Front Desk Team for more information 757-221-0150 ext:0. Have questions? Complete our class interest form.
Group classes last six weeks. They meet every week at the same day and time. The calendar lists only the first meeting of a new class. The 2nd – 6th meetings are not listed on the calendar, but will take place at the same day and time for the remaining consecutive weeks.
Puppy Class Level 1:
Emphasizes socialization and preventing common puppy problems
Includes off-leash playtime in every class
Completion of course includes preperation & testing for AKC S.T.A.R. Puppy
Puppy Class Level 2:
Builds on obedience learned in Puppy Level 1
Apply classroom skills to real-life situations
Adult Class Level 1:
Basic obedience focusing on confidence & trust
Beginner level instruction on functional skills such as (leash skills, general manners, coming-when-called, stay, and much more)
Adult Class Level 2:
Expands basic obedience skills
Includes preparation for AKC Canine Good Citizen (CGC)
CGC testing included for all dogs
Trick Training Class:
Take your canine communication to the next level. Develop a dog’s attention, intelligence, and comprehension while traching amusing behaviors.
Includes prep and testing for AKC Trick Dog Novice
Therapy Dog Class:
Prepares dog-and-handler teams for volunteer work as a therapy dog team. Flexible curriculum based on individual goals
Includes preparation for your choice of therapy certification testing options