Why Adopt a Pet?
If you’re looking for a new furry family member, you’ve come to the right place!
How do I adopt a pet?
- Come visit the Heritage Humane Society Adoption Center at 430 Waller Mill Road, Williamsburg, VA!
- Fill out an Adoption Application. (Not all adoptions can be processed the same day, but we can work with you to determine an appointment time.)
- Once you have found the perfect match, we will sit down and go over all medical and behavior evaluations. We are happy to assist with any questions or concerns you might have! Our goal is to set you and your new pet up for success!
- The Adoption Fees will vary depending on each pet! Please Click here for adoption fees and what’s all included>
- Each pet will need to be spayed/neutered prior to going home with you. If the pet is already fixed we can send it home with you that day (exceptions may apply).
Are there any adoption requirements?
- Virginia law requires that you provide adequate shelter, veterinary care and daily food and water for a domestic animal. It also states that all cats and dogs released from adoption agencies must be spayed/neutered.
- All adoption applicants must be at least 18 years old and provide a valid driver’s license.
- Renters will be required to provide contact name and phone number of landlord upon completion of the adoption application.
- Our adoption team will contact your landlord to verify pet policy and payment of pet deposit prior to adoption.
- If desired, once the application is completed, Heritage Humane Society is happy to schedule a Meet n’ Greet with our trained staff, your current dog and the adoptable dog. This is not required, but may be suggested for some dogs (please hold off on bringing in your current dog until after you meet your new dog, and have completed the application process).
- It is very important that the entire family is accepting of the new animal.
- We highly recommend that cats be kept indoors for their safety. If you’re looking for a barn cat, we can help you! Click here.
Before you fall in love
Our goal is to set you and your new pet up for success! Adopting a pet can be a great experience for you and your family. A new pet can instantly warm your heart as they join your family. A new pet can also be a challenge if you have not considered all the factors before you adopt.
- Have I talked about adopting a new pet with everyone in my household?
- Do I have the financial resources to properly care for a pet?
- Are there any restrictions on the kind or number of pets I can have where I live? If you rent, please bring a copy of the rental’s pet policy, lease, or letter from your landlord.
- Keep in mind that in order to adopt from the Heritage Humane Society, you must be at least 18 years old and show a current photo ID.
What is included with the adoption fee?
Each adoption fee includes:
- Spay/Neuter surgery
- Basic Feline and Canine Vaccines
- Wellness Exam
- And more… (a value of over $300)!